According to the historical annals, during the latter half of the 19th century a Burgher national named Brohier had taken the initiative to start a private School in rented bungalow located in close proximity to Holy Cross Church.
In the year 1890, the parish priest of Kalamulla, Kalutara, Rev. Father Wilkinson, who was the first rector baptized this private Institution of Education as Holy Cross English School. Later it was registered as Holy Cross Upper English School by Rev. Father Leo Fernando the founder principal of the present Holy Cross College, who succeeded Rev. Fr. Wilkinson.
Father Leo Fernando, through great effort obtained the assistance of the government for Holy Cross College to function as a semi government school.
Rev. Fr. M. Herel who hailed from Nancy, France became the rector of Holy Cross College for a period of 7 years since 1905. He was succeeded by Rev. Fr. Robert Fernando who was responsible for introducing numerous innovative features to Holy Cross College.
One of the striking achievements during his period was that a pupil of the college emerged as the First on obtaining the best results out of all the entire Common Wealth Countries, in the Cambridge Examination.
Rev. Fr. F.L.Breton assumed duties as the Principal for a period of 3 years from 1918 – 1921 during his tenure of office it was Rev. Father Briton who introduced the Cadet Platoon to Holy Cross College.
Rev. Father Breton was succeeded by Rev. Fr. C.V. Croos who served Holy Cross College for 9 years since 1921. During this period he was successful in expanding the buildings by adding a Science Laboratory and another building to the college. In addition, Holy Cross College was upgraded as a Secondary School during the period.
Rev. Fr. Gaston Chaulieu a French national happened to be the only Principal of Holy Cross College to serve an unbroken period of 16 long years from 1930 – 1946.
This era was considered by many as the Golden Era of the Holy Cross College which could be proud of its unique achievements.
Construction of new buildings, conducting Inter House Athletic Events and dividing the college into a Girls’ School and a Boy’s School were some of the highlights of this era Students offered both London Matriculation and Chamber of Commerce Examinations.
For further information, please follow the below link
HCC Kalutara, College, History, http://www.hcckalutara.org/HCC/?page_id=2084, 04.07.2016